Thanks for your incredibly swift replies!

changing "float retVal" to "double retVal", using "return lround(retVal);" and casting ints as doubles in the formula gave me some real values, which is wonderful!

I could have saved myself two hours by asking the list when I first ran into this problem!

I've got it spitting out some (jagged but acceptable) corners now, which is wonderful.

In case any of you were interested, I'm doing this to create an HTML "object" that can be placed over any background, be given rounded corners and have the background show through. It was being accomplished with Javascript, but I figured it'd be better if this was done one time, when the HTML is generated, instead of at client side.

Thanks for your help, no way I could have figured this out.

Mike

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
        -- Sir Winston Churchill