On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Aurora Phoenix
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Without knowing more specifics, I am struggling to find why one would need a
> full-blown class just to invoke a command.

Because it is easier to use, and it handles many edge cases. Also, you
are over-estimating the overhead of using a "full-blown class"; it is
lost in the noise when compared to the actual process
creation/launching.

> At the simplest, one could use
> the system(3) call

system() (or popen) will get a shell involved, thereby adding unneeded
complexity.

>, or the exec/spawn/fork/popen families depending on what
> you need.

Using NSTask *is* using the exec/spawn/fork families, just wrapped in
a cleaner interface.

> It is of course, possible to wrap up something fancy like using an
> NSDictionary to represent commandline arguments, etc. etc. but that is
> usually overkill, no?

It is only overkill because NSTask already exists. :)

--
Clark S. Cox III
[EMAIL PROTECTED]