On Oct 30, 2008, at 12:49 PM, Gary L. Wade wrote:

Check out this article on Apple's web site:

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/win32porting/win32porting.html >

Essentially, CodeWarrior, for Mac development, should not be considered for new development (I have to use it for a legacy product, and there's lots of features it lacks, and debugging is painful under 10.4 and later, especially for Intel-based Macs). Use Xcode instead; it's free and already available to you on your system disks.

PowerPlant, for the most part, was very useful before CarbonEvents and Cocoa came to be part of the Mac operating system, but since these facilities and many more became available, you'll be better off rewriting your code into platform-specific and platform-neutral logic, and then move your MFC-based code into the platform-specific section, which is where your Mac/Cocoa code will go, and any logic that doesn't really care about a particular platform should go into the platform-neutral area.

I have to strongly second this approach. Of the 15 frameworks I've authored and/or used over the years, the most successful apps written always contained platform-specific UI.

If you attempt to go cross-platform for everything, the app typically suffers (since you're now dealing with a least-common-denominator UI and many religious wars such a button placements). Also have found that the amount of workarounds and/or bugs in such frameworks are often quite high. So the benefits of the so-called write-once are typically lost.