Does anyone have experience intercepting the play/pause and rew/ff (seek back / seek forward) keys on some keyboards? Particularly, the MacBook / MacBook Pro keyboards?

These keys control iTunes and QuickTime just fine when they're running but I'd like to intercept them myself as well. Assuming I'm using the right terms, I don't see any mention in the archives, on cocoadev.com, or anything useful on the web at large.

I've tried capturing the events in the raw but they never make it to the app, so I poked around in the Keyboard & Mouse (Keyboard Shortcuts) system prefs. The only use I see of F8 (the play/pause key on the latest MacBook) requires pressing the "fn" key to trigger it since simply pressing the keys unmodified is not considered F1-Fn.

  So I was hoping someone else had figured this out. :-)

--
I.S.