On Nov 11, 2008, at 1:40 PM, Peter Maurer wrote:

So I was hoping someone else had figured this out. :-)

A quick look at this list's archive reveals this post ...

<http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2007/Aug/msg00499.html>

... by yours truly, which was later followed by Rogue Amoeba's aforementioned take on this. Look here for the explanation they posted for the code Bill linked to earlier:

Can you tell me what terms you used in your quick look? It wasn't so quick for me (an hour). It's probably because I was unfamiliar with the term "media keys" which seems to open up the very world I was looking for. I had followed terms anywhere from "play/rewind/fast forward/seek" to "function keys", etc. and ended up deep in unrelated cocoa-dev posts and notebook-specific tech notes (on the ADC site) before I gave up and posted here.

The only working solution posted online that I'm aware of is available from a German developers discussion board, namely here:

<http://www.osxentwicklerforum.de/thread.php?postid=76534>

  Great, thanks!

--
I.S.