So I was hoping someone else had figured this out. :-)

A quick look at this list's archive reveals this post ...

<http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2007/Aug/msg00499.html>

... by yours truly, which was later followed by Rogue Amoeba's aforementioned take on this. Look here for the explanation they posted for the code Bill linked to earlier:

<http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/Article/mediaKeys-2007-09-29-17-00.html >

Kevin is right, though: To get this to work the way it _should_ work, you'll need an NX_SYSDEFINED event tap. The only working solution posted online that I'm aware of is available from a German developers discussion board, namely here:

<http://www.osxentwicklerforum.de/thread.php?postid=76534>

Use the code from the 8th post in that thread (the one that starts with "Relief... finally!"), but use ...

CFRunLoopAddSource(runLoop, eventSrc, kCFRunLoopCommonModes);

... instead of ...

CFRunLoopAddSource(runLoop, eventSrc, kCFRunLoopDefaultMode);

... in line 27 of the second code segment.

Cheers,

Peter.