I've removed all references to http://foo/help/1.0 and still it
complains that the url can't be found.

Where is it getting this URL from? I've erased my application's
preferences plist. I've rebooted the whole machine. I've scanned my
project directory for this string even in binary files. I've checked
the helpindex file.

IT IS NOT THERE.

Where is it coming from? Where does Mac help pick this stuff up from?

The "Apple Help Programming Guide" says that help will show up in the
"Library" menu. Library menu of what application? I don't see a
library menu and I don't see it show up.

I'm running Leopard.