For the benefit of others who may run across this horrible Help design...

I was trying to create help for my application. Used Help Indexer to
give it a remote root url to use overriding local help.

When I first put in the URL, I did it in the form, http://foo/help/1.0

Little did I know that Help does a non-intelligent concatenation of
the URL with the path in the help. This results in the help viewer
looking for http://foo/help/1.0index.html.

Seems very simple right? Just add the / at the end. How hard could that be...

Well turns out that this value gets cached. I've wasted an entire day
because of a lack of transparency regarding what the help system does.

I have to scan the entire file system to figure out where this was
being stored. Turns out it was being cached in
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui/<application name>

I erased the application's help cache directory and suddenly it FINALLY worked.