I take it back. Its not working. Its acting even weirder.

For a file that's missing locally... it works. It obtains it from the
web at the /help/1.0/file.html location.

But for files which ARE present locally, it fails. I get a message such as:

"Multiple Choices
The document you requested (/htlp/1.0file.html) could not be found on
this server. However, we found documents with names similar to the one
you requested.

Available document:
-  /help/1.0 (common basename)"

And the /help/1.0 is a link. If I follow it, I can then access all the
server based files.

I'm at wits end. I cannot figure this beast out.

Can anyone provide any guidance or pointers. Is there some other
mailing list where folks know more about this subsystem?

Again this is on Leopard which apparently has changed the help system.