Hey Brian -

Outlets for iPhone OS are established by calling setValue:forKeyPath:. The behavior of setValue:forKeyPath: is that if a setter exists, it is called. If a setter does not exist, the instance variable is looked up and set directly, and if it is an object, it is retained. This means that for IBOutlets, with no setters, they're retained in iPhone OS. This is different from Mac OS X. If you're writing code on both platforms, or are planning to, you should always use properties on both platforms since it makes the decision to retain outlets explicit and obvious.

How come the documentation that mmalc quoted doesn't have this clear statement?

which one did he quote, the one I suggested to you has it .. it's under Nib Object Retention. It's a page I have bookmarked because as I switch between iPhone and regular OSX I like to remind myself what it says. It's pasted below.

iPhone OS - managed memory model

Objects in the nib file are created with a retain count of 1 and then autoreleased. As it rebuilds the object hierarchy, however, UIKit reestablishes connections between the objects using the |setValue:forKey:| method, which uses the available setter method or retains the object by default if no setter method is available. If you define outlets for nib-file objects, you should also define a setter method for accessing that outlet. Setter methods for outlets should retain their values, and setter methods for outlets containing top-level objects must retain their values to prevent them from being deallocated. If you do not store the top-level objects in outlets, you must retain either the array returned by the |loadNibNamed:owner:options:| method or the objects inside the array to prevent those objects from being released prematurely.