They are.

On 21 Nov 2008, at 02:54, Klaus Backert wrote:

Am 20.11.2008 um 22:04 schrieb Adam Leonard:

Just to clarify:

They probably are identical, but not in the way everyone seems to be assuming.

To make sure I don't misrepresent anything, I'll just quote the rule:
"You take ownership of an object if you create it using a method whose name begins with "alloc" or "new" or contains "copy" (for example, alloc, newObject, or mutableCopy), or if you send it a retain message."

Nothing in that rule says or implies that objects you get through other methods are autoreleased.

See the Cocoa Fundamentals Guide:

"Class factory methods are implemented by a class as a convenience for clients. They combine allocation and initialization in one step and return the created object autoreleased. These methods are of the form + (type)className... (where className excludes any prefix)."

"autoreleased" !

Because of this the following statements are identical, as far as I can see:

NSString *blah = [[[NSString alloc] init] autorelease];
NSString *blah = [NSString string];

Aren't they?

Klaus

Filip van der Meeren