Actually, I only wanted to select a single item in the pulldown case, the same as what correctly happens for me in the popup case. The problem has always been that, even though the button itself is reporting that a particular item is "selected," none of the underlying NSMenuItems' state is ever set to anything other than where it was left in IB (which is typically NSOffState). And so a check mark is never set next to the most-recently selected menu item.

I'm still wondering why you're using a pull down menu, not a pop up one.