Hi Shawn,

Thankyou for the detailed explanation.
I've probably been too quick to jump to the conclusion, and even though it works better (I've still seen no chops), I agree that something else most likely have an impact on my application.

On Jan 16, 2009, at 18:26, Shawn Erickson wrote:

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Michael Ash <michael....@gmail.com> wrote:

To repeat: something else is going on.

If I had to guess (an we do since the OP didn't post any actionable
information) the following possibilities come to mind...

1) logic bug in the code he replaced
2) memory management issue in the code he replaced that caused memory
pressure or maybe gc (didn't state if he was using or not)
3) some other application task stalling the event loop now not
affected by the code he replaced (didn't state what was driving the
rendering)
4) rendering tasks ran long enough to bump up against schedular
quantum with other pressure in the system
5) etc.

I'm pretty sure it's not issue #1, since the code is copied, pasted and downgraded to C. -It's almost identical. Still I'm not claiming to write error-free code.
#2: I'm not using the Garbage Collector.
#3: This might be possible.
#4: I don't think it is; unless it's hidden from me. I've not been considering the pmtool - does that run without activity viewer ? -It would most likely not be cron, because cron on my machine is running max. every 5 minutes, but there might be others. I've disabled spotlight indexing (in the Finder)
#5: Also a possibility that could cause it. ;)

[obj-c, shark, Microseconds...]

I'll spend some more time with Shark this weekend, so maybe I'll learn things I don't know yet. I know that Microseconds are inaccurate, but it should be able to measure milliseconds.

...as to why we are pushing back on your statements...

I want to make sure others that wander into this thread in the future
don't get mislead and make the wrong decisions. Also we are trying to
push you to understand what your problem truly was (...guess it is now
to late to help you avoid rewriting code, which was my first goal).

Understandable. Maybe my modifications will be helpful later on, though.
I will have to redesign the code, and I will be able to start by testing for these differences.
If it helps moving to a new architecture, I will post a follow-up.

p.s. Samples taken on a first generation Mac Pro 2.66GHz but a G5
wouldn't be drastically different to my Mac Pro in message dispatch
speeds.

Thanks. =)

Love,
Jens