On Jan 17, 2009, at 15:49, Scott Ribe wrote:

it's just that I'm more prone than many to optimize by throwing
in some strategic C++

Yikes! I hope you realize that for some of us of a certain computing era, this statement looks quite strange. As if you said, perhaps, that you were prone to reducing your fuel consumption by going back to driving a Hummer.

TBH (and more to the point) I strongly suspect it's true of everyone who's expressed an opinion in this thread that it's not so much about the suitability of the language to optimizations, but more about the skill set of the individual with regard to the language.