Graham,

Thanks for the insights!

> In IB, select the table column, and uncheck 'editable'. This will
> prevent the item getting into the editable state at all.

    IB is kinda tricky here; one must "drill down" into the table view until
one can see the column properties. But I got there!

> The reason your current edit changes don't 'stick' is because your
> datasource isn't implementing -
> tableView:setObjectValue:forTableColumn:row:

    for once, ignorance saved me ;-)

>>    2) I would like my user to be able to select a table entry, and
>> be able
>> to respond to the 'delete' key - by discarding the selected entry.
>> Currently
>> that does not work at all.
>
> You have to make this happen yourself.
<snip>

Will start down this path after some rest. To be sure I don't dig too deep
of a hole...

> There's no such thing as magic ;-)
>
> Yes the controller will typically be the datasource, but you have to
> set this up, usually in IB by dragging a connection between the
> table's 'datasource' outlet and the controller.

Of course its magic ;-) Else how can I explain this to my wife?!

Sho'nuf, the controller had the definitions as you said. And I did them. The
book I am walking thru has had me doing so many things that am forgetting
most of them (and certainly did not understand them anywat) along the way.

But this is progress!

Thanks again - this has been extremely helpful!

-harry