No Edit menu? That explains why you get the beep, nothing processed the key equivalent. Add a select all menu in your menu bar somewhere and assign it's action to First Responder's selectAll: method. Ideally, do this in an Edit menu because that's where people expect to find it. (You don't have to have the other normal edit menu items if they do not apply.)

-raleigh