On Mar 5, 2009, at 21:17, John C. Randolph wrote:

On Mar 5, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Eric Gorr wrote:

On Mar 5, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Benjamin Stiglitz wrote:

Although, this bug is not quite confirmed yet, but I suspect I know what the problem is.

I am working on a Carbon -> Cocoa conversion. In the carbon part, the cursor is being set to a 64x64 cursor constantly - via NSCursor set. The problem comes when I move the cursor over a cocoa view which I believe, by default, changing the cursor to what it wants - which I believe is a 32x32 cursor.

So, in the constantly fighting over what the cursor should be, there is some weird cursor behavior...it flickers - moves quickly to a nearby location and then back again.

That's a band-aid, not a solution. Figure out why the carbon code is constantly trying to change the cursor, and fix it.

Or, go back one more step and try to figure out why it flickers.

FWIW, I ran into a bug (this was in an earlier version of Leopard, and I haven't tried to check whether it still exists) where setting a custom image via [NSCursor set] caused the cursor to jump around and display some trash pixels (in a flickery sort of way) when the custom image had blocks of transparent pixels at its edges. (For example, if the actual cursor was 24 x 24 placed within a transparent 32 x 32 image.) The workaround was to trim the transparent pixels from the image (make it 24 x 24, for example).

So, it may be that the flickering has nothing to do with how often the cursor is being set. If the 64 x 64 cursor in this case is a custom image, and if the actual, non-transparent pixel bounds are smaller than 64 x 64, and if the bug is still there, you may avoid the problem by using a smaller image.

As I said, FWIW.