On Mar 24, 2009, at 10:01 AM, Ashley Clark wrote:

On Mar 23, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Gmail wrote:

Thanks! I think that document explains everything I need to know to take control over IB.

This is more Objective-C related by maybe you have a quick tip. My first tests suggest that my method for overriding is not correct because overriding "init" is getting invoked from all sorts of other classes (like NSFileManager to name a few) when the NIB is loading. I use class_getInstanceMethod (with the instance of the custom class I registered with the objective-c runtime) to get the method then replace the implementation with my function pointer. This method worked before for overriding drawRect: in NSView so I'm not sure what is different now. Any ideas?

class_getInstanceMethod searches the entire class hierarchy. So, if the class you're working with didn't override that implementation you'll be replacing the superclass' implementation.

If you call class_addMethod on self with the result of class_getMethodImplemenation you'll be adding it to the subclass if it's not already overridden. After that calling method_exchangeImplementations will only affect that class.

Hmmm, I overrode the superclasses implementation, i.e. NSObject, which sounds about right considering the results.

So, I need to be using class_addMethod for "init" because my new class has no implementation for that method. I think the previous attempt to override NSView worked because drawRect: DID have an implementation for that selector already added to the runtime, which is not the case with my new class. Thank you Ashley I think you are correct.

Is there anyway way to determine if a class has an implementation for a method so I can decide to add a new method or override an existing? As it stands I don't know in code when I should add or exchange implementations.

Ashley