On 9 Apr 2009, at 02:03, "Sean McBride" <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:

On 4/7/09 9:04 PM, Jo Phils said:

As for not using Carbon I suppose there's no reason I can't use it. I was just thinking with Finder going away from Carbon and since I'm just
learning Cocoa I was trying to avoid it if I could.  But if it's the
best way I can use it...

Carbon is an overloaded term, it means many things all at once.

Yes. This has confused me a lot.

I would propose to use only the term "Carbon application" as defined in:

"Carbon application" ::= app whose main.c file is very big (more than 5000 characters) and contains InstallApplicationEventHandler().

as opposed to:
"Cocoa application" ::= app with a very small main.m (less than 100 characters) which contains NSApplicationMain().

And NOT to use the term "Carbon" (other than in "Carbon application"), but to use the term "C-function" instead.

Like:
"To get the file size one can use some methods in NSFileManager, or, if one needs more detailed information (e.g. physical size, sizes of resource fork), one can use the C-functions documented in the File Manager Reference (defined in Files.h), which are part of the CoreServices.framework."

To give an example of my confusion about the term "Carbon": The aforementioned "File Manager Reference" contains this sentence: "In Carbon, this name must be a leaf name; the name cannot contain a semicolon."

Or: "the Carbon File Manager does not return the number of files in this field"

Neither of these two sentences makes any sense for me.

A somehow unrelated question:
What would be a rational reason to create a new "Carbon application" today?

Kind regards,

Gerriet.

P.S. Does anyone have a link to the official Apple definition of "Carbon application" ?