Just want to say thanks for all the input.  I do appreciate it!

Rick

________________________________
From: Benjamin Dobson <importedfromsp...@googlemail.com>
To: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:01:03 AM
Subject: Re: finder file size

On 8 Apr 2009, at 19:40:35, Sean McBride wrote:

> On 4/7/09 9:04 PM, Jo Phils said:
>
>> As for not using Carbon I suppose there's no reason I can't use it.  I
>> was just thinking with Finder going away from Carbon and since I'm just
>> learning Cocoa I was trying to avoid it if I could.  But if it's the
>> best way I can use it...
>
> Carbon is an overloaded term, it means many things all at once.
> Finder's Carbon->Cocoa transition refers, I think, mostly to its UI
> implementation.

And would be the only reason people should be interested. Carbon is still
extremely useful, but I understand that the UI section has been superseded by
AppKit. There's nothing wrong with the non-UI part of Carbon, but I don't
imagine the UI will be getting all the updates that AppKit will get, making
most of it outdated. It's already started: the Carbon UI is not 64-bit, but the
rest of Carbon is. It's important to understand that Carbon isn't a bad thing
to use in a Cocoa app if it makes things easier.

I say you should dip in to Carbon if it helps, but if there's a Cocoa way to do
the same thing, that's probably preferred.

This email sent to jo_p...@yahoo.com