Below:

> From: Michael Ash <michael....@gmail.com>
>
> I don't really mind splash screens, although I find them to be
> pointless. However, if your splash screen does not go into the
> background when I click on another app while waiting for your app to
> load, then your app goes into the trash instantaneously.

Of course it doesn't demand being on top.

> Much better than a splash screen is to *make your app launch faster*.
> Usually the startup tasks that take forever can be deferred until
> after the basics of the app have been set up. For example, your SQL
> connection doesn't need to be set up while the app is launching

Phhfffttt... The app is a database app.  Without the connection, there is no
app.

> Let
> it launch, set up your menu bar and welcome window and whatever else
> you have, *then* establish the connection. Your icon is no longer
> bouncing, your app is "started", and you're in a much better
> environment for a long-running task.

It used to do that.  Then the first time you touched anything it hung to 10
seconds, and people thought the app was broken.

You can load my app quickly by disabling the "remember where I was last"
checkbox.  Then it doesn't have to search the database several times, and
load the disk directory tree, on startup.  But no one does that.

You seem to live in a world where every app is lightweight.  This app has
over a million records in the SQL database, and indexes well over a million
files in an almost 2TB file set.  Things take time.  Letting your users know
what's going on -- above and beyond a bouncing icon or a spinning beach ball
-- is just common sense.