Chris Williams wrote:

I would also argue that in general splash screens are an anachronism.
They're a holdover from slow hard drives attached to slow CPUs and the idea that an app taking several seconds to finish preparing itself for
user interaction was normal. Today there are relatively few apps for
which that's the case. Splash screens are no longer the norm and it's
fairly gratuitous to force a user to wait for a while as you
essentially advertise a product they already own to them.

So you'd rather the user sits there wondering if this huge, highly complex application (like any Office or Adobe app) that takes 10-15 seconds to load, even longer on a slow laptop, is actually starting up, or should I click it
again, or is my computer dead, or "what the heck is going on here"...?

Actually, I'd rather people read posts before they respond to them.

Splash screens serve a purpose other than advertising. No program I know of actually delays the load to show the splash screen. Rather, they are a
prettier way of saying "loading...".

Do you use GraphicConverter?

Splash screens *can* serve a purpose other than advertising. Which I acknowledged in the post you didn't finish reading before you felt moved to compose a response. That's why there were phrases like "in general" and "relatively few" "the norm" in there. Congrats on not having run into apps that use them gratuitously, but don't assume that means they don't exist.