I should mention I am using XCode 2.5 under 10.5 so I cannot use the 10.5 SDK
nor Obj-C 2.0.

Erg

________________________________
From: Stephen J. Butler <stephen.but...@gmail.com>
To: Cocoa-Dev List <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 11:14:44 PM
Subject: Re: Why is NSString->FSRef so hard?

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:21 AM, Erg Consultant
<erg_consult...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> LSOpenCFURLRef doesn't work either - kLSApplicationNotFoundErr.
>
> The nature of the file is the app's exe which is normally inside the MacOS
> dir.
>
> However, all this works perfectly fine if there are no special chars in the
> path - the exe launches just fine. I find it hard to believe that Apple would
> issue an API that executes single executable binaries only in the case that
> they don't have special chars in the path.

Because you seem to still think this is Apple's fault, I've created a
simple app which demonstrates what you are telling us you are trying
to do:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu:443/sbutler1/www/Open%20An%20App.tar.gz

The way I tested it is I copied TextEdit to my desktop. Then I renamed
it TextEdit™, and went into the app bundle and renamed the executable
TextEdit™. Then I typed this into the text box and hit return:

/Users/me/Desktop/TextEdit™.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit™

Hit launch and TextEdit launched. Ergo, OS X has no problems with
special characters in the path. Your issue is in your code. QED.

This email sent to erg_consult...@yahoo.com