On 23/06/2009, at 1:03 AM, WT wrote:

This brings to mind a peeve of mine: Apple's unofficially sanctioned practice, followed by a lot of people, of NOT throwing in some white space in between parts of method names. Programmers spend most of their time *reading* code (their own or other people's), and with method names as verbose as those found in Cocoa, it seems to me that adding some white space ought to be a common practice. Alas...

I mean, seriously, how easy is it to read

I totally agree with you.

On a very similar note, I really dislike the fact that in headers (and source for that matter), the return type of a method is immediately followed by the start of the method name. It makes it very hard to visually separate the two and hence very easy to miss a method relevant to a given problem when hunting through the headers. In my own headers, I put whitespace between the return type and the start of the method name, and also line up the method names on a tab. It makes manually 'parsing' headers far easier, since I'm usually more interested in what the method does than the type it returns, at least on a first pass.

e.g:

- (BOOL)                shouldAutoActivateWithEvent:(NSEvent*) event;
- (BOOL)                hitLayer:(NSPoint) p;
- (DKDrawableObject*)   hitTest:(NSPoint) p;

- (void)                mouseDown:(NSEvent*) event inView:(NSView*) view;
- (void)                mouseDragged:(NSEvent*) event inView:(NSView*) view;
- (void)                mouseUp:(NSEvent*) event inView:(NSView*) view;
- (void)                flagsChanged:(NSEvent*) event;

- (NSView*)             currentView;
- (NSCursor*)           cursor;
- (NSRect)              activeCursorRect;

as opposed to:

- (BOOL)shouldAutoActivateWithEvent:(NSEvent*)event;
- (BOOL)hitLayer:(NSPoint)p;
- (DKDrawableObject*)hitTest:(NSPoint)p;
- (void)mouseDown:(NSEvent*) event inView:(NSView*)view;
- (void)mouseDragged:(NSEvent*)event inView:(NSView*)view;
- (void)mouseUp:(NSEvent*) event inView:(NSView*)view;
- (void)flagsChanged:(NSEvent*)event;
- (NSView*)currentView;
- (NSCursor*)cursor;
- (NSRect)activeCursorRect;