I actually had to use that method once in one of my very first Cocoa apps.

My personal rule of thumb for my own code is, when a method I write has more than 3 parameters I start to suspect there's a more OO way of breaking up the problem. Huge argument lists indicate a procedural design, and really feel wrong in the OO mental model.

Rob