On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Julien Isorce<julien.iso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So the final question: is there a way to make [NSThread isMainThread] return
> YES in a thread different that the main thread of a process, on MacOSX ?

We don't have the source for the Foundation Framework, but there is a
pthreads pthread_main_np() which provides the same info. I suspect
calling [NSThread isMainThread] wraps it. And even if it doesn't call
this function, you'd want to make pthread_main_np() return the "right"
value. So let's dig in the Libc source:

int
pthread_main_np(void)
{
        pthread_t self = pthread_self();

        return ((self->detached & _PTHREAD_CREATE_PARENT) ==
_PTHREAD_CREATE_PARENT);
}

So where else is _PTHREAD_CREATE_PARENT referenced? Only place I could
find is in pthread_init():

__private_extern__ int
pthread_init(void)
{
        pthread_attr_t *attrs;
        pthread_t thread;

        /* ... */
        thread = &_thread;
        /* ... */
        thread->detached = PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE|_PTHREAD_CREATE_PARENT;
        /* ... */
}

Hmm... where does _thread come from? It's a static file global, set by
calling _pthread_set_self(0):

__private_extern__ void
_pthread_set_self(pthread_t p)
{
        extern void __pthread_set_self(pthread_t);
        if (p == 0) {
                bzero(&_thread, sizeof(struct _pthread));
                p = &_thread;
        }
        p->tsd[0] = p;
        __pthread_set_self(p);
}

__pthread_set_self appears to be an ASM function, and my assembly
isn't good but I'd guess it is making a syscall. And this is where I
stop analyzing Libc, because it has become obvious that long before
your plugin gets loaded, some other thread will have already claimed
the main thread as its own. Not only does Cocoa have no support for
setting another NSThread as the main thread, but I'd argue that Darwin
itself forbids such a thing.

It is time to give up on your quest. Why can't you use my suggestion
of a separate, full Cocoa helper app that runs the GUI stuff for your
plugin?