On 21/07/2009, at 12:25 PM, Courtney Arnold wrote:

I am expecting that I am going to have to drop down to lower levels. I want to be able to manually parse an image of a UPC barcode. I assume that the best way to do so would be to potentially examine each single pixel.

As others have pointed out, just examining each pixel is very far from being able to detect a barcode. You are going to have to do some work.

You might want to have a look at this project:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxrecognition/

--
Rob Keniger