Sorry, I misled you.

There is a controller object and File's owner. File's owner's class is set to the window controller subclass. The window outlets for both of the win controller and file's owner point to the window itself.

Which brings up another question: do I need the "object" (blue cube) at all in the nib if the file's owner is of the same class and presumably represents the same object. Are they redundant?