I decided the nib was maybe corrupt from my having dragged things from another project onto it. So I started with a fresh xib, got rid of the redundant object (as pointed out by Graham Cox and yourself) and voila: I have references to the tableview and the window. But it's still not working.

The only datasource method to get called is numberOfRowsInTableView. The others do not get called. I rechecked syntax (even tried copying method sig from another project that works), rechecked connections for the outlets (File's Owner to the table, and table delegate and data source to File's Owner, which is the window controller). Still,

- (id) tableView: (NSTableView *) tableView
objectValueForTableColumn: (NSTableColumn *) tableColumn
                      row: (int) row

and

-(void) tableView: (NSTableView*) tableView
         setObjectValue: (id) value
         forTableColumn: (NSTableColumn*) tableColumn
                    row: (int) index

never get called. I also tried [myTable reloadData] when resizing the table (resizing works) but that did nothing. References to the individual columns appear to be valid based on log statements (I cached the column references for convenience), but it's irrelevant because a log at the start of each of the above datasource methods is never printed. As a result, nothing is loaded in the table, and I cannot select individual cells.

What would cause this?