I had this exact problem. I did exactly what he did, and to continue this, yes, I did create a mapping model. Never got it to work, but I had a user base of 1 and a database of about 10 objects at the time, so I just abandoned attempting migration entirely and recreated the DB with the new model by hand. If there's a solution, I'd love to hear about it.

That said, I did learn a couple of things in the attempts. First, as long as there was a second data model and mapping model in the project, that error would occur, regardless of which model was set as the current version. Also, attempting to set the the current model would occasionally cause Xcode to report an internal error, and afterwards (even through relaunching Xcode), setting the current model version would do nothing (the check mark wouldn't move) unless I deleted both references and re-added them to the project. This leads me to believe that it's an Xcode bug, but I don't see how it can be if almost no one is running into this. Are there only two people in the world migrating data?

-Daniel