On Aug 17, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Quincey Morris wrote:

My guess is that I. S. wasn't referring to specific defects (though there are those) but to the "Frankenstein's monster" nature of NSTableView/NSOutlineView -- a lot of not-quite-matching pieces bolted onto the corpse of a much simpler class that died about 15 years ago. It's not so much about whether the current implementation has 9 fingers or 11 toes, but whether a new organism might do a better job.

Quincey, you're my new hero. :-) Very well-said. I agree with most of your points below. Here's one place you lose me:

-- In the interests of compatibility, the source list style has ended up having a "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" API. It's not available directly, but just sort of happens as a lucky side-effect of patting your head and rubbing your stomach simultaneously.

  I'm not sure what you mean here, but I'm fairly sure I disagree. :-D

This is one step in the right direction. One. At least, insofar as "we heard a very common request and, in the interests of consistency and promoting good-looking apps on our platform, we will address it."

  Here's the other point of divergence:

Perhaps the time will soon come when you are willing to heave the experiment off a cliff, and turn your weird science project into a consumer product.

I think that's a bit harsh but sadly probably the best way to put it. You're absolutely right that these views do far more than we would (or many of us could) do on our own. Keeping performance firmly in mind, this can easily become a very difficult thing to customize in plenty of cases I can think of. But these controls are as common as buttons (by inclusion in an app, not by frequency in the app). They should receive some of the highest attention and see constant improvement but I don't feel they have.

--
I.S.