On Aug 17, 2009, at 11:14, I. Savant wrote:

 I'm not sure what you mean here, but I'm fairly sure I disagree. :-D

This is one step in the right direction. One. At least, insofar as "we heard a very common request and, in the interests of consistency and promoting good-looking apps on our platform, we will address it."

OK, source lists were a fairly weak example. I guess what I meant was -- in API terms -- source lists are "just" a stylistic variant, whereas in fact they likely have behavioral differences too, in a lot of scenarios. But there are no source list APIs, just indirect sort-of customizations (like outlineView:isGroupItem:).

Of course, as soon as I clicked "Send" last time, I thought of much better examples:

-- Performance sensitivity. The general policy is not to worry about performance tuning unless a performance issue can be measured, but table views come with an admonition to consider performance before you write any code. A necessary evil, perhaps, but also an indication of an overburdened design.

-- Cells. Using cells to encapsulate drawing and interaction is fine as an implementation detail, but exposing cells as a technique of class customization is a real PITA. Cell programming, beyond the simplest of overrides, is no fun at all (cells are on my short list of cliff-ready experiments too), and there just isn't a wide enough range of standard cells to meet the demand for customizations.