I have an app that needs to work across recent OS X versions. It links in the libcrypto.dylib, which is of course an alias.

Full Path: /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.x.dylib (anonymized to respect NDAs)

App works fine on the dev machine with the newer OS X release, but when run on an older PowerPC machine with an older OS X, app crashes

1. because it can't find /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.x.dylib

2. if weak-linked, it simply does not load anything and then crashes.

The older machine does not have /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.x.dylib, it has /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.y.dylib, which is where the alias resolves, but somehow the app does not get it right.

I have everything set up correctly as far as SDK and dev target because I can detect a weak-linked Apple framework if it's there, it's just this bit with libcrypto that seems to be the issue.

Suggestions?