Lorenzo,
My first guess would be that you must have turned on garbage collection at
some point, and have a controller object that's not strongly referenced by
other objects, floating about in your NIB. If this is the case, the object
would deallocate pretty soon after your NIB loads, and no messages
associated with your menu items would get sent.

However, when menu items can find no targets matching their selector in the
responder chain, they usually are disabled, rather than enabled and doing
nothing. However, if you don't have them set to auto-enable themselves, this
isn't the case.

In any event, you can use gdb to trace the program's execution flow to find
out exactly when certain things are happening, and put breakpoints on
questionable lines of code.

--
Steven Degutis
http://www.thoughtfultree.com/