Also, can anyone point me to a list of the #pragma’s for xcode?

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say that your pragam warnings would have worked "In gnu". Xcode is an IDE. The compiler most commonly used with Xcode is gcc which is the GNU C compiler. In Snow Leopard, you can optionally use the clang compiler.

A list of pragmas for gcc can be found here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Pragmas.html

Nonetheless, on the 10.4 machine where I tested this, the method works. Does anybody know what the story is with this method and 10.4? Is this method actually supported by 10.4 or is it something that happens to be supported if certain other software has been installed on a 10.4 platform?

If it is not in the headers, it is a private and unsupported method. It may appear to work, but you have no guarantees as to whether or not it is returning the correct information in all cases. As such, it should not be used.