On Sep 23, 2009, at 12:37 PM, BJ Homer wrote:

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Todd Heberlein <todd_heberl...@mac.com >wrote:

Inside Snow Leopard's UTI: Apple fixes the Creator Code

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/09/22/inside_snow_leopards_uti_apple_fixes_the_creator_code.html

Some may also find it misleading, since it implies that the UTI can be set on a per-file basis, independent of type code and extension. This is false.

As a result, most of their conclusions are incorrect as well. If you can't set the UTI differently on two files with the same type code and extension,
it can't serve as a creator code.

I agree.

I found this part of the article misleading in the way you suggest and was wondering if there was some gab in my knowledge. I'm glad others have noticed this as well and that my understand was correct.

And, in case others don't know, the UTI associated with a file is based first on the file extension and second on the File Type code. This is defined in an applications Info.plist file. I am not sure how the OS would resolve two different UTIs claiming the same file extension, but I imagine it would be based on who comes first in the Launch Services database.

Incidentally, this is not a complaint against UTIs; they are very useful.
They're just not meant to solve the creator code problem.

I agree.

I like the move to UTIs and am glad Creator Codes and File Types are rapidly disappearing, but let's not forget that there was a real tradeoff.