Thanks! You are right, I have tested it on Snow Leopard, and the CA
animation runs simultaneously with the blocking NSAnimation, as
claimed in the Wikipedia. What a revelation! I'd say, what an ANNOYING
revelation! It means that this ability of CA animation of running in a
separate thread is rendered useless by this bug. I cannot rely on this
ability until a sufficient number of users upgrades to Snow Leopard,
and the long tail of this process will never end, so it's practically
never.

Or is there a workaround, beside using non-blocking animation, which
is often too tedious and sometimes not smooth enough?