So, I like the LCD-style font that Instruments uses to show the time counter at the top center of the window. Thought I might use it myself for an in-house project (not for release). Copied the TrueType font from Instruments into my project, added the necessary key to my Info.plist, set the font using [NSFont fontWithName:...], and hey presto, there the font is in my app. Only... it doesn't look as nice. It's less crisp. Kind of fuzzy. The corners don't look sharp. It no longer looks "LCD". What's going on here? I assume it has to do with rendering differences between different typography engines, and hinting, and TrueType (or in this case "FalseType", perhaps), and so forth. My basic question: is there a way I can get my Cocoa app to show this font as nicely as it appears in Instruments? I would have guessed that Instruments was itself a Cocoa app, so I'm surprised there's a difference. Anybody know what's going on? I am now considering taking little screenshots of each digit and rolling my own pseudo-font using image blits. Please save me from that fate.

Ben Haller
Stick Software