Kyle's explanation #1 was spot on for my application. I had an NSSearchField in a custom window and view which was not displaying quite correctly. It looked as if it was not being anti-aliased. Going into Interface Builder, I noticed I had selected the "Wants core animation layer" switch for the control. Turning this off corrected the problem.

Best,
Dalmazio

On 2009-10-17, at 9:27 PM, cocoa-dev-requ...@lists.apple.com wrote:

You need to post a screenshot of what you're seeing.

I can think of two possibilities off the top of my head:
1) You're rendering text into a CALayer (especially a CATextLayer).
Without some tweaking, CALayer can't do subpixel antialiasing (aka LCD
antialiasing), because it doesn't have the existing backing store to
composite against.
2) You're overdrawing the text and are therefore ruining the
antialiasing, producing a distorted image.

Again, screenshot is pretty much mandatory here.

--Kyle Sluder

This email sent to bhcocoa...@sticksoftware.com