I had actually tried using that delegate method.  It gets called a lot
because the same controller is delegate to many layers (for drawing).  Of
course, I filter it for the my "content" layer.  As you noted, using
"sublayers" also triggers for other sublayers and I may have to use your
flag method to prevent this.

    What I don't understand, is that, according to the core animation guide,
kCATransition seems to be what I want for a key instead of "sublayers".  The
guide says this is triggered by "replaceSublayer: with:".  However, stepping
it through, I never see this key come through the delegate.

--
Gordon Apple
Ed4U