Here's the current status.  I seem to have everything working, partly
due to you guys.  Thanks.  However, now having analyzed this thing to death,
I'm filing a bug report.

    First a summary of the (extended) problem.  The view is layer hosted.
Its layer has a sublayer called "content", which has sublayers, one of which
is A, which is to be transitioned to B.  This is akin to a
PowerPoint/Keynote slide transition.  Layers A and B also have sublayers,
A1, A2, etc., which transition in al la "build" in PP.

    According to the docs, using [content addAnimation:trans
forKey:kCATransition] should have worked for slide transitions.  It didn't.
However, using the delegate method, augmented by an ivar enable flag, did
work.

    Next, tried the delegate method for builds.  Didn't work.  It
transitioned in the entire layer stack (all sublayers of A or B) instead of
the single inserted layer. So I went back to using [B addAnimation:trans
forKey:kCAOnOrderIn] for builds.  That worked properly.

    None of this makes any sense, other than the build-transitions being one
level deeper in the hierarchy than the side transitions.

    Definition of "software development":  A series of experiments,
hopefully culminating in the desired result.