On Nov 20, 2009, at 11:03 PM, Parimal Das wrote:

> I want to write a uninstaller for my app.

Are you sure it needs one? Most Mac apps don't have or need uninstallers. If
you want to remove an app, you just drag its icon to the Trash. (There might be
some preference files left behind, but they're not usually big enough to worry
about.)

> What this un-installer need to do is- delete some files an the main app, and
> then delete itself.
> Steps what i found are
> 1. Un-install app will run a shell script to delete all.
> 2. It will use launchd to delete itself.

I don't think you need anything fancy to delete yourself. In Unix it's legal to
delete an open file; the file contents don't actually get deleted until the
last open file handle is closed.

Please be really, really careful about quoting paths in the shell script — the
application may be installed in a location that has spaces or quotes in its
name, so test those cases. The horrible example is an early iTunes installer
script that would accidentally delete your home directory (or was it the entire
disk?) if the name of the startup disk had a space in it.