On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Scott Squires <scottsqui...@mac.com> wrote:
> First off, for whatever reason my question had been held on to by the
> moderator.  After a few days of no response I re-submitted.
> What you're seeing I can only assume is the release of those emails
> unbeknownst to me.

Too bad Cocoabuilder is down, it was very useful for confirming that
messages have gotten through.

> And yes, I did read the documentation on the UndoManager.  And I have done
> pre/post the thread with similar results.  I'm trying to make sure they are
> both in sync and non-grouped.

There is no such thing as a non-grouped undo event.

> Is there a clean method (which I take it is the group method) to make sure
> that undo functions aren't automatically grouped based on event cycles?  Is
> there a recommended way of dealing with UI and async actions relative to the
> undomanager?

The first thing you need to do is sit down and rigorously specify the
behavior you want. I think that if you try that you will see that
there is no correct way to reconcile "asynchronous" and "undo." There
is certainly no way to use it from multiple threads.

Only when you have a spec in hand can you possibly approach this task
in any sane way.

> You imply that there are undomanager issues.  Are there known ones I and
> others should be aware of?

Search the list archives, specifically for recent messages from Graham
Cox, who has written his own undo manager replacement to avoid some
pitfalls in NSUndoManager.

--Kyle Sluder