On 10/01/2010, at 1:47 PM, mmalc Crawford wrote:

>> 'string' does not contain 'new', 'alloc' or 'copy' therefore you do not own
>> it.
>>
> That summary is just very subtly wrong(*), which is why people are generally
> discouraged from paraphrasing the rules.
> That said, there is indeed really very little to remember:

Yes, I meant to say 'begin with', not 'contain' but didn't catch it until after
I posted. I also wholeheartedly agree with not paraphrasing the rules usually,
but when linked it can still appear to be more to remember than it really is,
so boiling it down just this once was to emphasise that it really isn't a lot
to remember.

--Graham