That example assumes you have an instance variable called myCustomSheet in your
class. You can tell from the method signature of the following method (called
in the example you refer to) what type it should be:

- (void)beginSheet:(NSWindow *)sheet modalForWindow:(NSWindow
*)docWindowmodalDelegate:(id)modalDelegate didEndSelector:(SEL)didEndSelector
contextInfo:(void *)contextInfo

Thus, myCustomSheet is an instance of NSWindow.

Cheers,
Hank