On 2010 Jan 10, at 20:25, Jenny M wrote:

> What I'm trying to do is this. I have a main window with a button to say
> "Create New", and I have an NSWindowController class to handle the
> creation/check/storage of that new object.

Learning your way around the documentation takes awhile, but do it whenever you
can.  In your Xcode documentation window, in the search field at the top right,
type "Sheet Programming Topics".  You'll get a wonderful document which will
explain many things you can't figure out by following sample code.

> I have a separate xib file to
> handle that window and object. But I want the main window to open the 'new
> object' window as a sheet (and in fact I need to have cascading sheets of
> different types).

One of the things you will find in that document is that cascading sheets are
not supported or desirable.  We had a discussion on an alternative to this,
presenting sheets serially, a few days ago.  Read the thread "wait for sheet
result" on this page:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2010/Jan/thrd4.html#00366

> Does this seem possible keeping everything in separate
> xibs with separate controllers?

Yes, you can load a window from any xib you want to, or even create one in
code, and then attach it to a window as a sheet.