On 27.03.2010, at 1:59 PM, Ken Thomases wrote:

I can't see how this is either correct or incorrect
from the point of view of OOP philosophy.
OOP involves encapsulation, separation of concerns,
polymorphism, etc.

"separation of concerns" is just the case.

I would say it's the other way around: the window's appearance
should be in response to the initiation of the process.

My modal window's purpose is not just to show this initial process. It's a dialog, which does something more complicated, but this initial process should be completed to activate its subsequent functionality. Of course, we could show this progress before the modal window appearance. But I don't like it.

Well, first, you should consider whether a modal window
is the best design of your GUI.  I would say there's a mild
recommendation that they be avoided in favor of
document-modal sheets and the like.

It's not a document-based app. This dialogue does some thing which can't be shared in time with other functionality. It's just like Save File As... but more complex

In MustDie all messages, addressed to the application, go through the window procedure of the modal window. Modal window is the key window, the main window, and whatever you do you do within it. Therefore I don't understand why notifications should be queued in the "main" loop while they can't be processed by the modal window messages loop.

Thanks.