The path from [[pathurlArray objectAtIndex:0] stringValue] is going into the
NSURL properly.
This doesn't appear to be a problem with retaining the source NSArray object.

The base URL, however is being populated with the path to my binary. I am
trying to figure out how to set the baseURL to nil.
If I print a description, I get:

<CFURL 0xe5d8270 [0xa0474ee0]>{type = 15, string =
file:/localhost/Users/bob/Movies/ARRI/ELAP/shot_1_2/Imagery/Proxies/DMAG001_1_2_TAKE_005_RAWPROXY720P.mov,
 encoding = 134217984
        base = <CFURL 0x36530210 [0xa0474ee0]>{type = 0, string =
/Users/bob/Development/GT_Dig/GT_Cons/build/Debug/, encoding = 134217984, base
= (null)}}

bob.