First, the first 2 characters need to be // and not / for it to be a valid
resource specifier.  The 10.6 Overview states it will fail to create a NSURL.
Look at the class reference.  Why the base is set to your binary maybe just a
bug in 10.5.  So you don't go nuts, just temp fix the string and then execute
your code to see if the originating pseudo URL is your prob.

-Tony

-Tony