On 18 maj 2010, at 04.52, Robert Monaghan wrote:

> This is pretty trivial.. I have a string that is coming from an FCP XML file.
> The string looks like this:
> file:/localhost/Users/bob/Movies/ARRI/ELAP/shot_1_2/Imagery/Proxies/DMAG001_1_2_TAKE_005_RAWPROXY720P.mov
>
> I then pass the string to an NSURL object using: (Yes, I know I can do a
> "fileURLWithPath:" -- I am trying to troubleshoot where the problem is.)
> NSURL *url = [[[NSURL alloc] initFileURLWithPath:[[pathurlArray
> objectAtIndex:0] stringValue]] autorelease];

You're doing it wrong...   ;-)

The "-initFileURLWithPath:" and "+fileURLWithPath:" methods takes a string
containing a path (would have been "/Users/..." in your example above), not the
file-URL representation of that path ("file:/localhost/Users/..." in your
example above).

If you already have a string that contains a RFC 2396 compliant representation
of a URL, you should be using the "init with string" style initializers to
create the URL.

> Then, I try to get an NSString object by doing:
> [url path]
>
> This is where things go wildly wrong.. the NSString value ends up being a
> path to my binary.

The clue to this behavior can be found in the documentation for CFURL:

"If filePath is not absolute, the resulting URL will be considered relative to
the current working directory (evaluated when this function is being invoked)."

Please file a bug report if you think that the documentation should be improved:

        <http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/>

j o a r